Board logo

標題: [其他飲食] Coffee talk [打印本頁]

作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-1-19 15:50     標題: Coffee talk

Anybody into coffee here? I don't mean going out to cafe...
Say at home...do you drink coffee? What kind of coffee (bean or instant) do you buy? And what kind of machine you use to make coffee?

I always have a can of Taster's choice decaf coffee at home. It's not bad for decaf, definitely not like "water".  I mostly drink decaf at home because I know when I get to office I will drink more cups...

When I pass by Urban Fare last week, they have Illy coffee on sale. $16 a can after $5 discount. So I bought one to give it a try.
And friend also mention that Casi Cielo bean is available again @ Starbucks. I assume it's also something premium.

And recently more home espresso/coffee machines come to the market. Anybody got one and wanna share some experience?
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-1-19 16:31

本帖最後由 布小熊 於 2010-1-19 17:35 編輯

Well, we don't have an espresso machine at home cos a good one cost a lot.
Most of the time we use either a stove top moka or a french press to brew at home. New addition is a Cuisinart burr grinder. I know that it's not one of nice proper burr grinder but for $30US, I am not going to complain. Since we don't need to grind beans to really fine for making espresso, it's acceptable.

For beans, we usually get them from JJ's and saltspring island (found that those we acutally bought in Saltspring Island was better than those from the pre-packed bags in supermarkets).

Recently just finished up one bag of esspresso roast from a roaster in Kelowna (Cherry Hill) that we bought at our Kelowna trip in the summer.

And now we are using some organic fair trade beans from North Thailand. I was kidding that it must be from the "golden triangle" cos it's so addictive. LOL

I don't drink decafe. I guess I am lucky that I can still sleep after drinking coffee at night.

For cafe, I still haven't and really want to try 49th Parallel. (except from restaurants who use their beans) Favourite drink at cafe is caffe macchiato. (NOT the Starbuck tall size syrupy drink!!)

btw Illy is pretty good. But I just want to try other good roasters as well. So I haven't bought any Illy beans for a long time.
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-1-19 17:10

btw the Thailand beans are pretty cheap. I got it from costco.
I know some ppl prefer lighter and drip coffee and I like darker brew. It's just personal preference.
作者: Ultraman    時間: 2010-1-19 17:30

Honestly, I've tried different types of coffee machine and coffee. In terms of convenience, price, and reasonably quality of taste and choices, I'm pretty happy with my Nespresso right now.
作者: stevoo    時間: 2010-1-19 17:32

Use to get Blue mountain beans from Costco but now we have the Nespresso machine. Yes, it is expensive but it does make good coffee.
作者: Catpiano    時間: 2010-1-19 19:25

本帖最後由 Catpiano 於 2010-1-19 20:26 編輯

nespresso!!!

Saeco is good too!!

However, in HK we know where to buy good bean, but not here ..  illy is good, but pricey.... those from starbuck or second cup .. are not bad, but not good...nor fresh enough...
作者: tofu    時間: 2010-1-19 19:59

my invento coffee pod maker is good in price and quality.  <$100.  the only catch is you have to use coffee pod
作者: Catpiano    時間: 2010-1-20 01:02

本帖最後由 Catpiano 於 2010-1-20 02:08 編輯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyeXrdZZ1o


[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfyeXrdZZ1o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfyeXrdZZ1o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]


[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxig_vskhHU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxig_vskhHU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZ09LAz1Q_4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZ09LAz1Q_4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

CLASSIC!!
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-1-20 01:34

Well, since I only make coffee on the weekends, convenience, isn't a big thing for me. I enjoy the process of making and drinking a cup of good coffee.
I guess I am old school
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-1-20 01:35

nespresso!!!

Saeco is good too!!

However, in HK we know where to buy good bean, but not here ..  illy is good, but pricey.... those from starbuck or second cup .. are not bad, but not good...nor fre ...
Catpiano 發表於 2010-1-19 08:25 PM

There are good (well at least to me) beans here. Just need some trail and error to find one that you like. Freshness is one of the key.
作者: yuusaku    時間: 2010-1-20 08:01

I make my latte before going to work every morning.  I have an entry level espresso machine and burr grinder.  My current current beans are UCC's Sumiyaki and Artigiano's Decaf Espresso.

I wish I would have a chance to try 49th Parallel, especially I found out that the Artigiano's beans are roasted by 49th Parallel.
作者: yuusaku    時間: 2010-1-20 08:06

For beans, we usually get them from JJ's and saltspring island (found that those we acutally bought in Saltspring Island was better than those from the pre-packed bags in supermarkets).
布小熊 發表於 2010-1-19 17:31


have you ever tried JJ's Gold Reserved Espresso beans??? every time I want to buy...it is already sold out...
作者: Catpiano    時間: 2010-1-20 10:18

I am just to lazy now ...  still got few bags of coffee bean at home ..

Just nespresso all the time .. but their price keep rising ..    70 cent a cap is not cheap .. and only can make a tiny coffee .... I usualy drink 2 at a time ...
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-1-20 14:09

I have an electric Italian espresso maker at home,
I use Illy coffee beans, and when my friend returns
from Jamaican vacation,  fresh Blue Mountain
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-1-21 01:16

have you ever tried JJ's Gold Reserved Espresso beans??? every time I want to buy...it is already sold out...
yuusaku 發表於 2010-1-20 09:06 AM

I will try to get some next time when I need to get new ones.
This Thailand bag is so big... it will take me a while to finish....
作者: sheep    時間: 2010-1-21 07:33

15# 布小熊


share share
作者: yuusaku    時間: 2010-1-22 17:29

La Marzocco?
actually i don't know much about this brand, but seen many commercial cafe uses this...

I have an electric Italian espresso maker at home,
I use Illy coffee beans, and when my friend returns
from Jamaican vacation,  fresh Blue Mountain
somewhereintime 發表於 2010-1-20 15:09

作者: 快樂牛郎    時間: 2010-2-5 00:40

I use a Peugeot hand grinder for French press at work.
作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-2-5 11:15

18# 快樂牛郎


Oh I don't know Peugeot has coffee grinder too...I had the pepper mill...
作者: 快樂牛郎    時間: 2010-2-5 11:18

18# 快樂牛郎


Oh I don't know Peugeot has coffee grinder too...I had the pepper mill...
fibbi 發表於 2010/2/5 11:15


Yes, it's a nice little grinder.  Perfect for my desk at work.  But the price is pretty steep compared to other manual grinders.
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-2-5 11:19

Peugeot grinder is always expensive....
even salt and pepper mills are pricier than regular brands.
作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-2-5 11:27

I got my Peugeot pepper mill on sale...some houseware store closed down and I think I got a "tall" one for $30. I'm still looking for my matching salt grinder la.. (in that price tag though)
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-2-5 12:12

Peugeot grinder is always expensive....
even salt and pepper mills are pricier than regular brands.
布小熊 發表於 2010-2-5 11:19


I got 2 copper Turkish coffee grinders, I think I paid $30 each.
I for coffee and 1 for pepper  ( and a tiny one I carry for steak dinner)
作者: sheep    時間: 2010-2-5 12:39

23# somewhereintime


you bring your own pepper for steaks?
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-2-5 12:42

24# sheep


I hate those pre-ground table top pepper.
I toast my  Malabar & Tellicherry Peppercorns before I put in the pepper(coffee)grinder.
Taste the diff
作者: sheep    時間: 2010-2-5 12:46

Did the chefs find it insulting?
Cause, if you add salt to the steak, they think you don't like the way they prepare it.
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-2-5 12:59

本帖最後由 somewhereintime 於 2010-2-5 13:02 編輯
Did the chefs find it insulting?
Cause, if you add salt to the steak, they think you don't like the way they prepare it.
sheep 發表於 2010-2-5 12:46


Not at the American style steak houses(i.e. Ruth's Chris), where they do not season the steak.
or the Gaucho style Brazilian meat house.
Don't ever try in a French restaurant thou, and never ask for any bottle sauce i.e. HP, A1 , 58 or O.K. Sauce for steak
作者: bin_bin    時間: 2010-2-6 09:44

There is a place name Yoka's in 3171 west Broadway. Most of the coffee beans are roasted in store & they carry Hawaii Kona bean for $6/100g. They have grinding service too that I always suggest. I never use cheap grinding machine for the heat generated will ruin the coffee bean unless you have >$1000 grinding machine.
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-2-6 18:23

I agree with the theory that heat will ruin the natural oil in coffee beans;
I have used many Italian coffee grinders that cost way more than $1000
for training purpose, they would generate heat if the machine keep running
without  built-in cooling system.
I use a cuisinart coffee grinder at home, it does not really generate much
heat since I only grind 45 gram of beans at one time the most( that is, when
I have to make a big pot of 10 cups coffee.
Usually I only grind 20-30 grams of coffee beans for the espresso maker.
7 gm=1 shot
12 gm= double shot so  I would be sipping espresso happily.
Who would use a $1000 coffee grinder at home??
作者: 快樂牛郎    時間: 2010-2-6 18:41

No heat if you use a manual grinder like me.
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-2-6 18:48

30# 快樂牛郎

and you get some workout  too
作者: 快樂牛郎    時間: 2010-2-6 18:53

30# 快樂牛郎

and you get some workout  too
somewhereintime 發表於 2010/2/6 18:48


and an excuse to take a break
作者: peter236    時間: 2010-2-9 02:56

Not at the American style steak houses(i.e. Ruth's Chris), where they do not season the steak.
or the Gaucho style Brazilian meat house.
Don't ever try in a French restaurant thou, and never ask for ...
somewhereintime 發表於 2010-2-5 13:59

Don't try it in a Chinese restaurant.
作者: cola14    時間: 2010-2-10 20:01

I usually use French Press. My friend who worked as a barista told me that in such way you can keep the oil from the bean in your coffee too, and makes it more tasty.
Personally dislike starbucks coffee. Usually get beans from Cafe Umbria or JJ Beans. Illy gets a bit too expensive when you drink 2+ cups a day
作者: Prelude    時間: 2010-2-11 13:49

34# cola14


I think you are talking about crema, all decent espresso machine can produce crema to the espresso.  With the right temperature and right pressure.
作者: zuesel    時間: 2010-2-15 15:21

I love a good cup of coffee! Used to hate it when I was younger. So now that I love coffee, it must be a sign of old age!

I thought of getting my own espresso machine at home but it would take away the craving which gets satisified once a week. So I buy a nice cappachino once / twice a week and it will be a treat!

I recently got a book about coffee by and signed by Moses Chan. Got to read up on it!
作者: myversa    時間: 2010-2-16 08:49

My wife and I cannot drink coffee especially the strong one.
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-2-16 09:35

34# cola14


I think you are talking about crema, all decent espresso machine can produce crema to the espresso.  With the right temperature and right pressure.
Prelude 發表於 2010-2-11 02:49 PM

Can you suggest some model that is good for home use? (with moderate pricing)
An uncle/friend said that the one he has (an Italian brand which I forgot) is really great but it costed him over $1000 and it's huge. (size of a big microwave)
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2010-2-16 09:36

Personally dislike starbucks coffee. Usually get beans from Cafe Umbria or JJ Beans. Illy gets a bit too expensive when you drink 2+ cups a day
cola14 發表於 2010-2-10 09:01 PM

I like them too! Where did u get Cafe Umbria beans in Vancouver? (I think the roaster is in Washington state)
作者: Helissio    時間: 2010-2-16 15:46

I got a espresso machine from startbucks that made by saeco a few years back, not the top of the line but it looks good and get the job done. illy beans are good but a bit pricey, I'ven been getting the "Kicking Horse" and those are not bad, specially when on sale for 9.99/lbs
作者: somewhereintime    時間: 2010-2-16 16:58

I use an electric espresso maker, "Alicia",
it makes 4-6 serving of  nice espresso in minutes.
I do not bother to make latte at home,
I make cafe au Lait (no foam) instead.
It cost me US$100 only, very inexpensive
作者: fibbi    時間: 2012-6-16 00:05

Most of the time I'm not thrilled about starbucks coffee...
BUT...this time, I got a sample of Blonde Veranda Blend ground coffee.
AND...it smell very differently...just wanna say I LIKE IT...it's special...
I'm not expert...but just kinda think it's nice to share this with you...
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2012-6-16 07:52

回復 42# fibbi

I think they create this Blonde Veranda Blend for people who like lighter roast. I guess this finally doesn't taste like burnt charcoal water.

I like dark roast and have been using a  cheap dark roast organic fair trade coffee from Tanzania (Level Ground brand). I am still using my stove top moka and french press at home few months ago... And I have a cuisinart burr grinder.

My current fav cafe is Elysian Cafe on Broadway (near Cambie). But a friend said their coffee is a bit too dark for her liking.

For health reason, I have been off caffeine drinks for a few months now. I tried decaf coffee once at a cafe and found it awful. Any suggestion for drinkable decaf out there?

When I can drink coffee again, I want to try the pour over (drip) at home.
作者: stevoo    時間: 2012-6-16 08:17

From what I've heard decaf coffee is not good for the body. Some process require chemicals to remove the caffeine and the coffee beans use for decaf is high in fat as well. If you are avoiding caffeine for health reasons then you should just stay away from coffee altogether.
作者: 布小熊    時間: 2012-6-16 08:36

From what I've heard decaf coffee is not good for the body. Some process require chemicals to remove ...
stevoo 發表於 2012-6-16 08:17 AM

I guess so.
>_<~~ wonder how long this will last...
作者: 嘉嘉    時間: 2012-6-16 15:19

but once I have seen them just basically pouring the regular coffee through a filter to make it decaf wo.....?
作者: pkphilip    時間: 2012-6-16 19:37

I just tried the Lavazza Crema E Aroma, using my grinder to espresso grind, it produces a decent amount and quality of crema on my Sirena. I am happy with the result, it is a medium roast and it is great for milk drink.

London Drugs sell the 1kg bag that will last me for a few months.

Philip




歡迎光臨 溫哥華老友記討論區 (http://www.loyaukee.com/forum/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2