返回列表 發帖
41# sheep
I would do it when I have an upset stomach,
it works well, and some restaurant i know would do so,
the only draw back is that the jook would turn grayish,
the alkalinity in Pee Dan helps breaking down the rice and emulsifying
the jook.
I add gingko nuts and crumbled  bean sheet to  make it  more tasty.
Remember buying Jook for breakfast  under #10 Typhoon in  HK back in 60's

TOP

本帖最後由 somewhereintime 於 2009-7-14 09:15 編輯
But I  like the Wonton siu yep in the 60's
sheep 發表於 2009-7-14 08:58

The Wonton home delivery in 60's too
Hey, you are not that old

TOP

I'm a old man with a childish mind sometimes naive!!!!!! Ha Ha
sheep 發表於 2009-7-14 09:18

The Old Menace? I thought it is my nick name

TOP

54# tweety

The topic is Plain congee.
and I did posted the recipes twice,
1 cup of rice to 12 cups of water,  the rice  for Cantonese congee is Yau Jim
grown in Un Long, NT while the Chiu chow one use See Miu.
The Cantonese one is cooked on high heat, therefore the cost of fuel could
be greater than the rice used.
and in the old day, the Dai Pai Dong started cooking congee at 2:00 am
savory jook is too rich for me( I eat an entire pot of plain congee)
You are too young to know this fine details, however your recipes surely
sound tasty

TOP

My mom used to cook chicken jook when she played Mah jong, she started
with an old fowl and the jook would be ready when she finished 4 rounds of MJ

TOP

58# tobiko

40-60 minutes, depends on the rice you use, and keep the congee boiling
at Med-Hi. This is the way I cook at home.
the use of gingko nuts is  for the flavour, does not contribute much to the texture,
again, it is for Cantonese, I don't think the Taiwanese would like it so much.
For the same reason, I don't like the Taiwanese congee so much.

TOP

I know that person, he used to work at T&T, and he is still teaching for Burnaby School District, he got fed up when many students complain that he insist to use MSG in the class.
He was my intern at VSB when he started, say 1998. My wife taught the same topic at Richmond School district  for years too, her students are most C9.
I  did not really work in Chinatown, but helped out as a head baker for my uncle, 5 cases of eggs used everyday.
I set up a local noodle house in 1983 and it has generated profit to acquire $15 M commercial properties and 5 other businesses under its name,  at one point, they would go through 50 gallons of flavoured congee daily,  over $10,000 case sales everyday, with Food and Labour Cost  well under 50%.
Anyway, as I said, there are many different ways to prepare any dish, the Chef at some Buddhist temples and vegetarian restaurants were my students and they surely cook different from us.
And I have posted my recipes for sharing, it is my way of cooking for 45 years

TOP

本帖最後由 somewhereintime 於 2009-7-15 09:22 編輯

1. The instructor's name is St___n W_, he teaches 3 courses only; he worked for the Marketing Dept at T&T, he is a good Home Cook I would say. There are only a small   handful of Chinese instructors  in Metro Vancouver.  He does is similar to  what my wife does in Richmond School Board and Chinese Cultural Centre.
2. The restaurant is family business, now operated by my cousins, my father reigned  their  
     kitchen for 23 years while my brother  managed the FOH.
Instead of speculating , would it  be much easier to ask the people directly?

TOP

本帖最後由 somewhereintime 於 2009-7-15 10:11 編輯

65# rockypath

It is getting personal, but at least you finally got one info correctly, my uncle brought me
to Canada. I owed him to my last day and would not bad mouth him, it is only grateful.
I never work for him as staff or ever on payroll, just helping out as return of favour, he IS the only person I owed in my life, and his successful stories in business is in my lecture.
I meant you can check with the VSB , Richmond School District, SUCCESS and Chinese Cultural Centre. Doesn't matter much to me, teaching cooking is just hobby for 35 years, HACCP is what I do for living.

TOP

[inb] 68# sheep
Yes, I just made a pot of plain congee,  in 20 minutes.
Guess what Mr. Sheep, my student gave me some "Cheese Sheets"
when she return home from Shun Tak, I think it bring back some
childhood memory too

TOP

返回列表