返回列表 發帖
本帖最後由 somewhereintime 於 2009-7-15 12:46 編輯
Wa "Dai Leung Au Yu"
is it OK for the custom?
sheep 發表於 2009-7-15 12:04

Bingo, you are so smart.
She just  declared as Chinese condiments.
It used to be available in Chinatown,
the best accompaniment to go with plain congee.
Another student keep bringing me  Dan Lo Salted Fish from Malaysia
last batch she claimed as "Fabric Samples"
These 2 items are not permitted to enter Canada, but I like them.

TOP

Let's set up an old man club
sheep 發表於 2009-7-15 12:48

You, me,  4 Gor and  Uncle Tat?  Gang of 4 DOMs
Oh, we can play bridge

TOP

75# sheep
MaJong and chicken Jook go hand-in-hand,
the jook is ready after 4 rounds of MJ
Old bird has better flavour, and bring your 50 years Chen-pi

TOP

77# sheep

Any peels over 20 years would be good

TOP

79# zuesel
Bring the rice and water to boil, and keep half boiling until done,
stir occassionallly.
I cook mine in rice cooker, you can cook on stovetop as long as
the pot is big enough, it does not boil over.
I use thin bean sheet and gingko nut, so the congee is pale yellow.
Chen Pi is for older people

TOP

81# zuesel
Medium high heat, yes, the utilities cost may be more than the rice,
but that is the authentic way to cook Real Cantonese congee.
People will tell you how they " make" soup and congee in Thermal Pots,
but to me , that is not real cooking.
Ginglo nut is good for you, but it is your call, some people put salted
duck eggs in the congee too.

TOP

81# zuesel
I just made a pot of Stock Fish & Peanut Jook:
1 Cup Australian Yau Jim Rice
12 Cups water
3/4 Cup small peanuts soaked overnight
3 Oz. Stock fish(make sure it is not Canadian Pollock)
Seasalt to taste
1. Bring rice, water, stock fish and peanuts to boil, boil 15 minutes
2. Turn the heat to Medium High, #7-8 on electric stove, cook 30 minutes
3. Season with sea salt, about 2 teaspoonful Kosher salt or 1 tsp table salt.
It is simple but I do not know any Chinese restaurant would sell this.
Call it a bowl of nostalgia

TOP

I doubt any cook would put MSG in plain congee.
MSG is flavour-booster for meat or fish protein.
In vegetable items, it taste really odd and easy to detect.
I don't cook in Chinese or Japanese restaurant so I do not use
MSG at all. Even for dashi and chicken soup base, I would check
the ingredient list.

TOP

Basically, sea salt is evaporated sea water, salt harvested in different part of the world
would taste different.
My preferred salt for cooking is Diamond brand Kosher salt  because it sticks  to food
instead of bouncing off, and that since it is a much larger crystal so you can crush it with your fingers. Since it is bulkier you will end up using less salt in your food.
Salt is the most popular seasoning for mankind, and the oldest food preservative before
the invention of refrigeration system. Salt also brings out the natural flavour of food, try to sprinkle a little on watermelon and pineapple.
Salt is very important in baking, it would strengthen the gluten of flour for bread making, regulate the activity of yeast, and, without salt, bread will taste flat and goes wild.

TOP

返回列表