返回列表 發帖
I don't like gingko nuts either.
What do you mean by "keep half boiling??" You mean medium heat?
Discover your Talent
檸 . 易創作社
[email protected]

TOP

81# zuesel
Medium high heat, yes, the utilities cost may be more than the rice,
but that is the authentic way to cook Real Cantonese congee.
People will tell you how they " make" soup and congee in Thermal Pots,
but to me , that is not real cooking.
Ginglo nut is good for you, but it is your call, some people put salted
duck eggs in the congee too.

TOP

Plain congee is boring, I hate it

TOP

Does anyone know how to boil jook in a regular stainless steel pot and not stick to the bottom?
zuesel 發表於 2009-7-17 10:41


My mom cook jook with regular stainless steel pot all the time. She once told me that the trick is to add lot of water, and it must be maximum heat at the beginning (I am not sure with this part, I can ask her tomorrow).

The jook does not stick to the bottom at all and very smooth.

TOP

81# zuesel
I just made a pot of Stock Fish & Peanut Jook:
1 Cup Australian Yau Jim Rice
12 Cups water
3/4 Cup small peanuts soaked overnight
3 Oz. Stock fish(make sure it is not Canadian Pollock)
Seasalt to taste
1. Bring rice, water, stock fish and peanuts to boil, boil 15 minutes
2. Turn the heat to Medium High, #7-8 on electric stove, cook 30 minutes
3. Season with sea salt, about 2 teaspoonful Kosher salt or 1 tsp table salt.
It is simple but I do not know any Chinese restaurant would sell this.
Call it a bowl of nostalgia

TOP

to answer the question... i went to "hoi wong" (1st ave & renfrew) for with a frd for late-night a couple days ago, their plain congee was good.. i certainly did not taste the msg. i'm not sure if their congee during the day is any different, i just know i favour its texture.

TOP

I doubt any cook would put MSG in plain congee.
MSG is flavour-booster for meat or fish protein.
In vegetable items, it taste really odd and easy to detect.
I don't cook in Chinese or Japanese restaurant so I do not use
MSG at all. Even for dashi and chicken soup base, I would check
the ingredient list.

TOP

海皇 is prtty good, it's near 1st ave, T&T

TOP

81# zuesel
I just made a pot of Stock Fish & Peanut Jook:
1 Cup Australian Yau Jim Rice
12 Cups water
3/4 Cup small peanuts soaked overnight
3 Oz. Stock fish(make sure it is not Canadian Pollock)
Se ...
somewhereintime 發表於 2009-7-18 06:46


Thank you!
Now, I am curious. Why different types of salt and what are their functionality in cooking?
Discover your Talent
檸 . 易創作社
[email protected]

TOP

Basically, sea salt is evaporated sea water, salt harvested in different part of the world
would taste different.
My preferred salt for cooking is Diamond brand Kosher salt  because it sticks  to food
instead of bouncing off, and that since it is a much larger crystal so you can crush it with your fingers. Since it is bulkier you will end up using less salt in your food.
Salt is the most popular seasoning for mankind, and the oldest food preservative before
the invention of refrigeration system. Salt also brings out the natural flavour of food, try to sprinkle a little on watermelon and pineapple.
Salt is very important in baking, it would strengthen the gluten of flour for bread making, regulate the activity of yeast, and, without salt, bread will taste flat and goes wild.

TOP

返回列表