返回列表 發帖

G20 police ‘yanked’ off prosthetic leg: amputee

Kenyon Wallace, National Post · Tuesday, Jul. 6, 2010

Toronto — A 57-year-old amputee says he was “brutalized” and “humiliated” by police patrolling the G20 summit when they confiscated his prosthetic leg, labelled it a “weapon” and ordered him to “hop” into a paddy wagon.

John Pruyn, a Revenue Canada employee from Thorold, Ont., was in Toronto on June 26 with his wife and daughter to participate in the peaceful Canadian Labour Congress march and rally.

In the early evening, Mr. Pruyn and his 24-year-old daughter, Sarah, were sitting on the lawn of the provincial legislature — the so-called “designated speech area” — waiting to meet Mr. Pruyn’s wife, Susan, from whom the pair had become separated during the afternoon march.

At the same time, a line of police began advancing on the crowd of protesters, most of whom Mr. Pruyn says were simply relaxing on the grass.

“The police came up to us and said, ‘Move!’ so I tried to get up,” said Mr. Pruyn, who lost his left leg above the knee 17 years ago in a farming accident.

“I fell back down and my daughter yelled out, ‘Give him time. He’s an amputee.’ I guess the police thought I was taking too long ... then all of a sudden the police were on top of me.”

Mr. Pruyn claims his head was kept on the ground by an officer digging a knee into his left temple while other officers yanked at his arms.

“One of them was yelling, ‘You’re resisting arrest’, but I wasn’t resisting anything. I couldn’t move.”

He says police then ordered him to start walking, but when he informed them that he couldn’t get up because his hands were cuffed behind his back, an officer grabbed his prosthetic leg and “yanked it right off.”

“Then he said, ‘Hop!’ but I told them I couldn’t because it hurts for me to hop on my right leg,” Mr. Pruyn recalled. “Then the cop said, ‘OK, you asked for it’ and two officers grabbed me under my armpits and dragged me away from Queen’s Park towards the police vans.”

Mr. Pruyn says five Toronto police officers then arrived and carried him the rest of the way, threw him on the ground and allegedly “gave me kicks and little punches and saying I was resisting arrest and that I had a weapon.”

“None of that was true. I had no weapons or anything like that.”

Toronto Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said the force would not respond to any allegations made by individuals.

“Certainly if anyone feels they’ve been mistreated by police officers, they can file a complaint either with the Toronto Police Service or the Office of the Independent Police Review Director,” she said.

After waiting for close to three hours in the back of a paddy wagon, Mr. Pruyn says he was transferred to a bus and taken to the temporary detention centre, where he was given a wheelchair and remained handcuffed in a cell for the next 27 hours. His daughter was also arrested.

He says he shared the space with another man in a wheelchair who was paralyzed on one side of his body and who had trouble using the portable toilet in the cell. The man begged for access to a regular washroom but his pleadings were ignored.

“Eventually he ended up soiling his pants and they let him sit there with his pants wet all that time,” Mr. Pruyn said, adding that he was given one styrofoam cup of water, a processed cheese sandwich and no phone call. No one interviewed him or told him why he was being held, he said.

“I had no idea where they were,” said Susan Pruyn, who made frantic calls to police during the weekend. “John had been asking to make a phone call so at least I would know where he was.”

Mr. Pruyn and his daughter were released late the following day without charge. While he was given back his prosthetic leg, he says police kept $33 he had in his pocket, his walking sticks and his glasses, which will cost $500 to replace.

“It was surreal. I couldn’t believe it,” Mr. Pruyn said, adding that he hasn’t yet decided whether to file a formal complaint. “I feel like I’ve been brutalized.”

Mr. Pruyn’s claims came the same day the Toronto Police Services Board announced the launch of an independent civilian review of police tactics during the G20 summit.

Board chairman Alok Mukherjee made the recommendation yesterday during a hastily called meeting at Toronto Police headquarters that quickly devolved into a shouting match between board members and dozens of citizens angry over a perceived lack of public involvement.

“We don’t trust the Police Services Board, who has very close ties to the police, to make the decisions for us,” downtown resident Vanessa Brustolin yelled at board members amid cries of “Shame! Shame!”

Toronto Mayor David Miller says the review is the “appropriate” way to look at systemic issues that may have arisen during policing of the G20. “Based on what I saw personally, I think the police did a tremendous job like I’ve said repeatedly,” he said. “My understanding is that police used lawful powers they had, I think since Confederation.”

More than 1,000 people were arrested during the G20, most of them charged with breach of peace and later released. Several people remain behind bars and are awaiting trial.

National Post
.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news ... .html#ixzz0sxxriqB2

LOL~

Dude, do you even know what is going on with the current Canadian economy? Do you know why int ...
Lik 發表於 2010-7-7 20:54


You are the one spewing crap here. Let me ask you this. What is the fiscal deficit for all levels of government this year? What is the current national debt?

TOP

LOL~

Dude, do you even know what is going on with the current Canadian economy? Do you know why interest rates are on the rise?

But hey, keep spewing your nonsense. It makes for a good laugh.

-Lik

TOP

本帖最後由 peter236 於 2010-7-7 16:48 編輯
香港嘅問題係日漸中國化,而中國嘅問題就係人治、無準則,當權果個話乜就係乜,就算白紙黑字寫晒出來都可 ...
Lik 發表於 2010-7-7 15:26


The problem with Canada is that the country has big fiscal deficit and national debt. Sooner or later Canada will become another Japan, US, UK, Greece, Spain or Portugal, i.e go bankrupt. What that means is that all the social programs will be cut back. In the case of Hong Kong, they don't have debt since they practice fiscal responsibility. It is places like China/Hong Kong that are lending money to the US/Canada.

TOP

You moron, your Canadian protesters at G20 were brutal and they burned cars and shops. Your government wasted a billion $ on brutal security forces.
peter236 發表於 2010-7-7 16:08

And those agitators were subsequently arrested, with legal prosecutions to follow. Did I ever condone that sort of violent beheviour? Did I say the arrest of those mobs was inappropriate?

Moron~

-Lik

TOP

香港嘅問題係日漸中國化,而中國嘅問題就係人治、無準則,當權果個話乜就係乜,就算白紙黑字寫晒出來都可 ...
Lik 發表於 2010-7-7 15:26


You moron, your Canadian protesters at G20 were brutal and they burned cars and shops. Your government wasted a billion $ on brutal security forces.

TOP

HK/China never promoted themselves as democratic, never promoted themselves that they encourage po ...
BiscottiGelato 發表於 2010-7-7 12:39

香港嘅問題係日漸中國化,而中國嘅問題就係人治、無準則,當權果個話乜就係乜,就算白紙黑字寫晒出來都可以用「解釋」、「釋法」來打橫來講。明明有上訪基制俾人民申訴,但當你一想去上訪嘅話,佢唔係立即拉你返鄉下,就禁錮你響上訪村。如果 BG 你話阿爺係有 line 嘅話,我真係唔係好知道條 line 響邊處囉。總之係,殺人放火就金腰帶,修橋補路就無屍骸。

In the McCarthy era, things were certainly dark, but in this day and age, I'd say things have improved a lot. Of course, a lot of times, justice does not prevail either. But the problem is more related to a lack of resources (both monetary and otherwise) to pursue the complain process. Lawsuits can be lengthy, and costs of legal council is astronomical. But at least the system is in place, and for that, I am thankful. When I was in highschool, one of the highschool teachers was entangled with the ICBC over the settlement of an accident for 6 years. He felt that he has been wrongly accused, so he continued to fight for his innocence through the courts and won in the end. Do you know how appeals for lawsuits, esp criminal ones, are handled in China? I once read that upwards of 90% of the appeal cases stayed with the guilty verdict, with the entire appeal process merely taking a few hours to complete. Is this problematic or not?

For me at least, the news section isn't entirely a place to post news-worthy material for sharing and discussion. Instead, I think of it as a springboard or megaphone to draw attention to news issues that I find unjust. When unjust Canadian contents occurs, I post them up to kick and scream as well. The HST, the VPD beating on the Chinese fellow, Dziekanski, the corrupt Liberals and the scheming NDP (and even the bullying Conservatives). I live in Canada, and Canada is my country. Why would I not care about what's going on? It doesn't seem to receive as much attention in these boards simply because

1) there simply aren't as many thoroughly unjust incidents happening in Canada, and
2) when stuff happens, I take comfort in the fact that a reasonably decent system is in place to right the wrong

On the issues of tax dollars, yes, we all know that we're heavily taxed. But I certainly don't make enough to get taxed 50% (lucky you, BG ). Additionally, I honestly think we get a lot in return, in the form of government services and programs. Yes, things can certainly improve, and waste could certainly have been cut. But overall, Canada, an in particular, Vancouver, is an excellent place to live with a very high quality of life regardless of your social status and income levels. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about HK and China...

-Lik

TOP

HK newspapers do report such cases, dude.  Way faster, and way more bash too.  How can you blindly bash HK with lies?
Prelude 發表於 2010-7-7 02:01

大佬,邊個 report呀?就算係生果報,肥佬黎都睇吓係邊班人先選擇報唔報導、同點樣報導啦。五區公投果陣,班死差佬走去踩社記個街站,話開大聲公就算係襲警。成條片上咗 YouTube,香港人網就推到行晒㗎,但主流媒體又有無人報?大專2012響行人專用區做宣傳,又有差人埋來大聲夾惡咁話佢唔走就告佢阻街,好彩班大專生自己做過功課、事前問過法律意見,知道自己咁做無問題,先至識得大返條差佬轉頭。呢單野一樣有上 YouTube 同人網,主流媒體又有無報導?

阿陶、長毛示威嘅時候被告襲警,報紙有報導,但就好多時連問都唔問吓當事人就成篇故仔作晒出來,咁又點計?

要舉例嘅話仲大把有得講,但我費事同你呢啲廢柴徙時間喇~

-力

TOP

As I said, Lik would only kiss the axx of western countries and blindly ignore the progress China is gradually achieving economically and politically both in the living standards and human rights.  

Lik, do you dare to challenge me on this?

Why didn't we see you cry out loud and stood up for human rights and democracy when US launched wars against other countries at its will? Why would you ignore the number of people were killed in the wars which they did not desert and you are only furious for some individuals suffer from hurting during protest?

TOP

本帖最後由 BiscottiGelato 於 2010-7-7 12:41 編輯
郭師兄,

我從來都無講過話加拿大乜乜七七都係最好。RCMP, VPD等等其實都有好大嘅問題,Dziekanski 、之 ...
Lik 發表於 2010-7-7 10:46


HK/China never promoted themselves as democratic, never promoted themselves that they encourage political freedom. They basically tell you between the line that if you step on their toes, don't blame them if they retaliate. It is a problem, but it's pretty clear when you might get into their crosshair, when you won't.

In North America, it's fairly scary. You don't know when you'd be a victim of corruption and power trip of the authorities here. There have been countless innocent victims of this, with minimal recourse. And these are definately not '個別事件', and is a system wide, nation wide, and even North America wide problem.

My article is not pointing at whether HK or North America have bigger problems. I am just puzzled why most would be so concerned, with heated debates, on HK politics. While the place which have ate up close to 50% of their income, a place which abuses their tax dollars in increasing the size of government and tolerating tax receiving authorities' abuse on citizens, with barely any concern. 9/10 posts in  時事區 is something about HK, political reform or the CCP... and really, they barely affect our daily lives in Canada, nor take a penny from my pay cheque ever... I do care about HK myself, as I am born there also... But I'm much more concerned about things that can affect my daily life, and the government which is funded by my tax dollars.

TOP

返回列表