Yes, I think so too. I knew some true white people dressed in traditional Chinese costume and had tea ceremony served on the wedding day la. Not that Maggie's bf is white washed, he just not respect ...
There are truly white guys actually repsect to the Chinese culture a lot! My boss is white and he married to a Chinese woman (who's a CBC, does not consider herself as a chinese at all). I can say he's chinese-washed. Even thought he didn't know how to speak Chinese, he still respects every single little thing in a chinese culture... ie. red pockets, out for dim sum with the in laws, ... always asks me what sort of 'rules' (aka traditions) shall he do.... don't know, I just found that he's such a nice guy.... in terms of being respecful for things. =P ahha In my personal opinion, the guy should also love the in laws family too.. not just his wife..... =)
It's been a while and time is running out... I have be pushed by his family so bad... his mom kept asking me this and that and trying to "solve the misunderstanding between my bf and my mom" (without knowing that she was the one created it). She kept saying she just wants my mom to be happy... the conversations were so lame and too long that I am not able to share with you guys. Either way, she called my mom and asked her out for dinner. My mom didn't tell me that auntie called her and if she will go or not. I don't even know what's going on. His mom told me she called my mom for dinner and asked me where to go for dinner and if I am going or not. I said I am not sure if I have time. I don't even know what she wants to talk about...
Should I openly talk to her about the lai gum problem? Should I even go? (I didn't plan on going.)
I am just too clueless now...
The answer to all your questions is -- ASK!
Ask: your bf's mom the purpose of dating your mom to have dinner.
Ask: is she (your bf's mom) expecting you to join the dinner.
Ask: all the people involved in your wedding to let you know what's going on for the things happening behind you, cuz YOU ARE THE BRIDE!
Ask: your parents for the amount of the lai gum they're expecting; and ask your bf to ask his parents for the amount of the lai gum they wish to give. Get a middle number that both of them would be accepted happily.
Things are not that worse actually, just need some time to get arranged/solved la. Good luck!
原帖由 tsumorichisato 於 2008-2-24 22:32 發表
Nono..here is your chance. If his mom is going to pay the lai gum then everything can be settled rite?
Not that easy... if it happened (which I highly doubt) it has to be done behind my bf's back as he is strongly against paying lai gum and he said he wouldn't let his parents do it...